Wednesday, June 25, 2008

To live outside the law you must be honest

Bob Dylan quote from Sweet Marie

My brother and I are never going to get along. Period. We may try, but it won't happen. There is no way to change it - it is above and beyond both of us. Sure I picked on him when I was young, but I think the thing he will always hold against me is that I was critical of his writing. Thankfully he has no link to this, but the reality is - I still am. It is not that he doesn't have the "chops" so to speak. He has been to Columbia School of Journalism, has all the tools of the trade, he can sit down and write a book - which I can't do - or simply don't want to - so I can respect him for that. But I just read the few pages here on Amazon and this is a very calculated attempt to present something in a very self-conscious way, but in doing that honesty goes out the window. I see he is already dwelling on how well he did at his prestigious school - which again - is great he did well - but to have to emphasize that I'm better than you because I have status - is pretty - well - pretty sad I hate to say. In Jim Rome terminology he is a red ass. I criticized his writing, so damn it he had to go out and write a book to prove me wrong. Unfortunately after reading just a few pages of this I got the idea of the book all too quickly. I see one of the reviewers chopped him to shreds already, while most people did seem to enjoy it. I am reading it - the same guy who never wanted to say the f-word - spewing it out left and right - the same reserved prudish guy I knew talking about sex and I am wondering is this the same guy I grew up with? Well - no - it isn't because he is trying very hard to be something acceptable in the literary world, and once you try to be anything other than what you are it isn't going to work. I don't want to say it's hopeless - this is his first book - maybe he'll dig a little deeper next time around. I know he lies to me all the time - it's just who he is. He lied when he ratted out on Vicki to my evil parents during one of his visits and then earnestly told me he did not, when it simply had no possibility of being anyone else. When I see him on the cruise, he'll act like my long lost friend, but I know there is still a lot of rage flowing toward me and what I represent to him. Sadly we are enough alike that it would benefit us if we let bygones be bygones. But I can't do it by myself, and I don't see it happening on his side any time soon. Too many demons that haven't been exorcised. Unfortunately he had a chance to be himself in this book, but he was more concerned with image than substance. I've read the 6 page teaser and I feel like I've already read the whole thing. I hope he makes some money on it, but I also hope some day he can come to terms with who he really is and not be so ashamed of that.

No comments: