Sunday, August 24, 2008

Excerpt from "The Cactus Eaters" by Dan White


Page 169:

"It's not that the woods made me feel competent; quite the opposite. It's just that the woods made everyone in my family feel like an idiot. They were a great equalizer. Even my older brother, a strawberry-blond sadist with a weakness for Ayn Rand, was reduced to a wood louse by the sequoias. Out in the woods, he screamed with fright when yellow jackets swarmed around him. Once, while he was already panicking, I informed him that these stinging creatures were attracted to the glare of his brightly colored windbreaker, though who knows if this was true. I never claimed to be an entomologist. Out in the forest, during a sudden storm over the Minarets, my brother scanned the sky with rabbity eyes, searching for the lightning bolg I dearly hoped would roast him in his boots. That's what I loved so much about the High Sierra. It was a reliable producer of long-lasting and delicious memories."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Out in the woods, he screamed with fright when yellow jackets swarmed around him." what is so unusual about "screaming with fright" while being swarmed by yellow jackets?

Anonymous said...

I just ordered Dan's book based on that excerpt. Do you think I can get him to sign it for me?

YEM

Anonymous said...

Got the book last night and in proper fashion, read the first 30 pages sitting on the can after eating some questionable pad thai for lunch. So far a great read. Dan's writing reminds me of yours, perhaps a bit more polished and descriptive, but the style is very similar imho. It's pretty freaky reading since I know you and the family so well.

YEM