Saturday, August 11, 2007

Didn't want to be mean about it, but I couldn't think of one good word to say



You reach a point in your life where once in a while something clicks in your head, it is almost like a light bulb turning on by itself. As some of you may know, I am married to a gal named Suzy Greenberg - and we have had our rough spots from time to time. Lately there has not been much going on in the old bedroom and it has become a mutual thing. Maybe I am just getting old, maybe the idea of taking care of myself in some ways just is easier to deal with than the real act, maybe it is just a phase, maybe it just is not that important any more. But regardless I have been at war it seems against those elder folks in my family that refuse to accept her. A couple years back I went under a kind of tirade and I rebelled and tried to get those to change. But after yet another time around where they snubbed her and conviently left her off of an invitation to come down to see them down south in the Tenessee hills, I realized something - I had nothing to say. I was ready to go off on them again, let them know how lame it was to do this, how pointless it was, find a million reasons to criticize it - but then after thinking of the old if you got nothing good to say, don't say it at all - I realized that I had no response. I was kind of sick over the whole thing initially, but now I just feel nothing - actually a little relief because now I don't need to actually see them - I kind of feel free, freaky and free as the song goes. They aren't going to change, God bless them, they are just going to continue to be the ass-holes they are and I can't stop them. Yet in their ass-holeness I can either keep the fumes away or emerse my nose deep in their anuses for another whiff. And at this point in my life, I have just had enough of smelling it. So I don't need to participate - at all - I don't need to ask them to change, demand they change, go off on them, tell them how much I am enraged because I don't feel those things any more. I just feel - relieved. Silence is all I have left, because there is nothing left to say - nothing - I just can't think of one good word to say, so here I am now somewhere else and I ain't saying shit. And in some ways I am glad they gave me the opportunity for that light bulb to click, because honestly I am just plain better off without them.

No comments: