Saturday, July 19, 2008

Mountains of the Moon - Electra - bow and bend to me




Twenty degrees of solitude,

twenty degrees in all,

All the dancing kings and wives

assembled in the hall.

Lost is the long and loneliest town

fairy sybil flying.

All along the, all along

the mountains of the moon


Where I live I get an incredible access to a view of an event that is pure religion from my limited "fucking perspective". From the kitchen side of my backyard last night I could see the moon rising over the Rawe Peak mountain range. At different times of the year she (I almost wrote it - my mistake) may appear to be rising from different portions of the mountain range. I knew where to look since it had occurred the previous night. It starts with a very faint glow of light - almost kind of orange, and you can't even quite tell if it is real or not because it is so faint, but the color and intensity slowly starts to lighten up until it turns a very distinct white. The white glows more intensely and there is an almost orgasmic anticipation of the rising of our beautiful lady of the night. And then just when it seems like it is going to take forever, the very tip emerges of a pure, beautiful glowing white light, just over the top of the left side of the range, and then slowly but surely she emerges - her glowing white face, pure heavenly light - the light that reminds me of the reported images of those who have claimed to survive a death experience and imagine they are being pulled to a light.


I was outside - singing the above listed Grateful Dead song as this even occurred, also turning to my favorite personal song that describes the interaction between an observer and a very seemingly spiritually charged environment - which I call "The Witching Hour" - with a tribute line "souring to a black cloud in the sky, with a full moon pouring through a flowing tide" (never mind that I got the flowing tide idea from a nearby dive restaurant) - and then of course - followed by one of my favorite lyrical experiences of the Grateful Dead - Help On the Way - and this way my own way of having a tribal experience with this event. I understand out in Reno they have all night drum circles during the full moon - a little much for a 42 year old who likes to get his sleep, but even so - I am out there alone with this experience - not entirely as I feel a connection to a Goddess force in the shape of the moon, and very much apart of God's world and when I experience this, I don't really feel alone - but I couldn't help but wonder why I was alone in my neighborhood observing this- with all the AC's roaring (like we really even need them at all - what the hell did they do before they were invented - I think AC's will go down in eventual history as the reason our species became instinct), and most people inside, probably watching some cheesy movie on their big screen TV's - trying to re-enact a little fantasy in their lives, when outside Mother Nature was putting on an incredible show that nobody even cared about. It made me long for the tribal days when that was the entertainment, when there was no TV or AC to turn to and the Great Mother Goddess in the form of the moon was the source of inspiration and light for all to see. What the hell has happened to us that we can't see the light in front of our eyes.


Even so - I stayed out enjoying this incredible light for as long as I could, and I felt so fortunate to be able to have this experience, to musically and spiritually connect to it with my voice and guitar, to have this soothing blissful light just pouring into my soul. I would like to try to put into words better, but "Statements Just seem Vain at Last".


No comments: