Saturday, July 12, 2008

See the world

This is an age where gas prices are going up - up - up - up - just like the line from Shattered by The Stones. And although I don't like paying more at the pump, in some ways I'm glad because maybe it forces people to stop their excessive wasteful ways that are slowly beating the shit out of our beautiful planet Earth. Maybe it ain't so cool to cruise around in a gas guzzling RV now that gets 5 miles to the gallon. Times are tough - I understand. So I have it figured out. How can you see the world? We all want to see the world, don't we. How can this be done in a way that we can afford, that does not screw up our environment, contribute to global warming, or allow tons of toxic human waste to be dumped into the ocean from an excessive glutonous wasteful display of excess known as a cruise line? How can we get from one place to another without flying on an airline, which apparently also contributes to global warming. You know - the answer may not be as complicated as it seems, and it is pretty inexpensive too. Ready?
Here goes - open a fucking window - walk out the fucking door - and there it is - there's the world right there! How can it be anything else than the world. It may not be the cheesy glamorous world you want with fancy waiters walking down the aisle catering to your every need, and it may not be some exotic place that makes you revel in your cheesy ability to traverse the four corners of the globe - but I'll tell you what - maybe it is another world. Maybe it is the world you are trying to run away from - maybe it is your own world - your inner world. What the hell is wrong with facing that world and taking a good look at it while you are still fortunate to be alive. Who knows - maybe you even find out that once you take a good look at that world, it isn't so bad as you thought and there is less of a need to leave skidmarks on a trail behind you and run away from it.
Call me one twisted fuck but I like the world I live in. I like every minute of the desert air around me, and it actually kind of irritates me to have to leave it. When I sit down and really take a look at it, and look inside, do a little bit of a musical meditation and tune in, I am no longer in one spot - I feel like I am everywhere - looking at everywhere from one spot - and I feel like I become one with everywhere - and then I am everywhere - and once I am there why the hell do I need to get onto a plane and go to some cheesy place like - oh I don't know - BALI - for example? I'm already in Bali - I'm already there in my mind and I don't have to get on some gas belching airplane to make it happen. Maybe the world around us we see every day we are spending so much time trying to avoid has an amazing infinite realm of possibilities that we aren't even bothering to try to notice. I see every day I wake up and walk around there is so much to see that surrounds me on a daily basis, and I don't have to spend a hell of a lot of money or waste any gas to get there because I am already there. Call it mind travel if you want - the only way to fly.
To each his own - if you need to burn through every corner of the globe to say you've been there, knock your socks off. It's just not the way I choose to go about it.

To twist a Zappa song be a cruise slut and see the world. Just remember - I ain't gonna squash it and you don't need to wash it.

1 comment:

Runaway Jim said...

I thought that Bali comment would get a reaction out of you